NCAT Ignition Oven
The NCAT ignition oven has set the standard as the most serviceable and reliable asphalt content furnace in the industry. This furnace is designed to remove all asphalt content and leave the remaining aggregate dry and ready for testing.
Coupled with its proprietary afterburner technology, this asphalt ignition oven is environmentally friendly and extremely cost-effective. It’s no wonder that after over 20 years of service, this furnace is still the industry standard.
NCAT ignition oven and its uses
The Thermo-Fisher Scientific™ NCAT Ignition Oven was designed to determine asphalt content by burning off liquid asphalt from aggregate. The NCAT has a large heating chamber designed to test bigger sample sizes, and with our triple stack basket set, you are able to utilize all of its available sizes. The oven operates in an environmentally friendly way by removing harsh chemicals and instead relying on the ignition method to determine asphalt content.
This unit burns off liquid content from the aggregate and weighs the sample constantly through the burn. When the % loss stabilizes the furnace begins beeping to alert the user to the completion of the test, and prints out a ticket that displays the results of the test.
The remaining aggregate is dry and ready for gradations after it is allowed to cool.
Why buy your NCAT ignition oven from us?
Your Thermolyne NCAT asphalt content furnace can be serviced regularly by Gordon Technical, as we carry NCAT ignition oven parts in our warehouse, and are the leading knowledge center for the NCAT Ignition binder oven. We have rebuilt hundreds of units and can work on any model. We have the NCAT ignition oven manual on file to help you with trouble shooting
If you are having issues with your furnace or need additional help, contact us at 804.893.4076 and one of our knowledgeable technicians can help.
Helpful NCAT Articles
Helpful NCAT Videos
- The asphalt content of bituminous paving mixtures is accurate to 0.11%
- Accommodates samples up to 5000g
- Automatic mode: endpoint is detected and software ends the test, prints the results and beeps until STOP is pressed to unlock the door (in accordance with AMRL specifications)
- Manual mode: endpoint is detected and furnace begins to beep but continues to test until STOP is pressed to unlock the door, then and your results print
- Furnace software automatically compensates for weight change due to sample and basket assembly temperature change
- Compensation is computed for each sample load tested (i.e, a fixed number is not assigned to a given range of load sizes)
- Positive or negative correction factors are accepted for use with mixes containing hydrated lime
- Endpoint within 0.01% of the sample weight is automatically detected
- Sample stability is reached once the endpoint criterion is met for three consecutive minutes during the test
- Endpoint sensitivity is adjustable from 0.01% to 0.5%
- The software computes test results as calibrated asphalt content per total weight of HMA sample or bitumen ratio per weight of dry aggregate
- The 24-hour/7-day timer can be programmed to preheat the furnace
- RS-232 port provides a data interface with a PC for graphical data analysis
- Thermolyne ignition oven manual available to our customers
Savings and Convenience
Larger sample testing reduces the total samples needed for testing each day, reducing labor and costs
The ignition method reduces testing time when compared to solvent extraction: a 1200 to 1800g asphalt sample can be tested in 30 to 45 min.
Internal scale monitors sample weight throughout the process, saving technician time and increasing productivity, as samples need not be removed and weighed
Standard 30A electrical service is used (50A service costs more to install and operate)
The modular design of refractory embedded heating elements provides extended service life and inexpensive, easy replacement
- No exposure to harmful solvents
- Automatic door-lock prevents door opening during critical test time, protecting the operator and ensuring test integrity
- A high-temperature afterburner is used with a proprietary ceramic filter to reduce ignition process emissions by up to 95%
- Independent laboratory study, conducted with the California Transportation Department in accordance with California EPA guidelines, showed emissions from the furnace during the ignition test were within EPA parameters
- A laboratory hygiene study, conducted in accordance with OSHA guidelines, proved the system poses no health threats during proper use
Accessory start-up kit (AY1087X1)
The Thermo Scientific Asphalt Content Furnace, developed in conjunction with the National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT), set the industry standard for determining asphalt content by the ignition method.
This system was integral to the drafting and passage of ASTM™ D6307 and AASHTO T308. A 12-lab round-robin field test was conducted by NCAT exclusively with this furnace. Results and proven performance are documented by NCAT.
|Dimensions||36 × 34 × 65 in|